Friday, February 28, 2014

Winter Has Worn Out His Welcome....

Today I will stay calm in with the threat of another winter storm headed our direction. Snow is beautiful, but this year- it has worn out its welcome. Cold temperatures leading to day long inconveniences are not the way I wanted to spend my winter.
This year I have missed many of my quiet afternoons snuggled in bed watching reruns of my favorite television shows. My children are a day shy of a three week snow sabbatical. The forecast for this weekend ensures Monday they will embark on snow day #14. To reinstate- THREE WEEKS! Honestly, I’m not sure how these bright minds are even going to accomplish a steady pace of learning in light of the choppy weeks that have become so familiar this winter. As their minds turn to mush from watching 50 episodes Saved by the Bell I have hopes they will gain something by watching Zach and Screech go to Bayside High School- where they don’t have snow days.
            In my defense, they are just as tired of being off routine as I am. Even the treasured snow has lost its sparkle and the sled has been parked due to overuse. The puffy snow pants and Eskimo boots are sitting on the floor waiting to be worn as everyone in this house would rather reject playing in the snow at this point. Too much of a good thing has turned into a detested nuisance leaving us to suffer the awful cabin fever.
This winter has been one for the records. The temperatures have plummeted, heating bills have sky rocketed, and my cuddle duds have a new hole from overuse. We are anxiously awaiting a splendid spring where the green leaves will shine and the thunder will roll. I believe we have earned the right to celebrate the new season with a highly anticipated party on the porch.

1 comment:

  1. Three weeks of snow days? Good grief!!! How did ANY of you survive? I thought things were bad here with snow day after snow day. My goodness! I love seeing that "Saved By The Bell" is still alive and thriving with new generations! I loved that show growing up and didn't even know it was still on television!

    I hope you are enjoying the wonderment of Spring and all its fresh scents and pretty, pastel colors, now that I think it is finally here! Did the party on the porch involve S'mores?

    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete