Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Parents, Knowledge is Power

I stated in yesterday’s post that I would be continuing the conversation on how The Caring People has helped me in my journey through single-motherhood. However in light of today’s tragedy in Springfield, MO I would like to focus on how I prepare my children for the evils we encounter as members of an unruly society.
     Yesterday, as a beautiful 10 year old girl played outside her home she was abducted by –what is believed to be- a complete stranger. I can visualize my 10 year old daughter coming home from school, rushing in to her room to change her clothes, and hurrying outside to play in the cherished sunshine that has graced us this week. She would ride her bike up and down the street visiting with friends in our neighborhood as I looked out a small kitchen window while preparing dinner. This scenario exhibits a normal afternoon in our household as well as many households across our nation. As the sun sets she would be called into wash her hands and settle in for the lovely dinner. We talk randomly about our day as we enjoy the food- but what if we were forced to skip that step one night? What if instead of eating dinner and enjoying my children I was faced with reality that someone was missing?
                This is a reality that many parents in our country face every day. Currently there are 398 missing children in Missouri according to Jessica Machetta. (Missouri.net/Missouri State Highway Patrol Missing Persons List) Nationally there are hundreds of thousands missing children. (NBC News.com) Granted, not all of these cases are victims of abduction- However, as a mother of three children I choose not to ignore these statistics by assuming a bent reality- this could never happen to my family. Instead, I have chosen to become prepared and educate my children opposed to sheltering them from the harsh realities of our world. I would love to watch them every second, but that is an idealistic reality. Children naturally get older, and with that comes certain freedoms. As a parent it is my duty to teach them the good and the bad as well as give them the proper tools in case they are ever in an uncomfortable position in which they would need this knowledge.
                How many of you practice fire drills in your home to ensure your safe exit in the untimely event of a structural fire? Many families practice this training to teach fire safety and preparedness. However, how many of you practice home invasion or kidnapping drills? I would venture to guess very few of you practice for these types of tragedy. I challenge you to take initiative in the safety of your children by giving them the tools needed to be knowledgeable in a time of crisis. I will no longer apologize for my children carrying mace in their pocket outside while they ride their bikes or for my 10 year old daughter taking self defense classes. I can’t protect them every second of their life, but I can give them the knowledge and tools to protect themselves when I’m not there. I am a realistic parent who loves my children by understanding my limits as a guardian angel- remember this- knowledge is power.

No comments:

Post a Comment