Thursday, February 27, 2014

Opinions Are Underrated...

·         Opinion: belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing
·         Opinionated: expressing strong beliefs or judgments about something: having or showing strong opinions.
·         Mellie Maggard: A strongly opinionated woman.
I am a very opinionated woman- Always have been, always will be. The power of opinion has often been advantageous. On the contrary it has also been detrimental. Many times in my life I have been in situations in which my mind acknowledged I should have thought prior to speaking. Most members of society have a filter that removes any harmful words before exiting their mouth. This is an essential part of harmony among friends and family. However, my genetic composition skipped the filter stage and gave the word a pretentious dogmatic woman.
My over articulation has welcomed several achievements in my adult life. I am well spoken, a go getter no matter the obstacle, and I entertain the proposal of debate. I am open-minded but cannot be swayed effortlessly. If my view is challenged I fight to prove its legitimacy. Speaking what is true to your belief is a character trait I admire in others. Agreeing to disagree is better than not offering any opinion at all- In my opinion.
Oppositely, I have grown quite fond of the taste of my foot. In my countless attempts to prove legitimacy I have often faced oppositional defeat. Becoming frustrated, prolonging the debate until I am justifiably defeated does not offer the gracious appeal I would prefer. Nevertheless, learning from other’s opinions has allowed me to grow into a well rounded individual who values the creditable opinion of others.
I would challenge individuals who sit back in an effort to avoid participation in constructive debate by hushing their opinions, to stand firm by offering opinions when the opportunity presents itself. There is a fine line between saying too much and not saying anything at all- but speaking your beliefs and understanding the opinions of other’s is a great avenue in which to expand your horizons.  


Merriam-Webster 2014.Web

No comments:

Post a Comment