Thursday, February 13, 2014

My Minor Disappointment..

Today I completed a 50 point marathon of reading. The Writer's Workbench, offered by Poynter Institute's NewsU, was an exhausting self-guided study guide that astonishingly helped me understand how I too can become a better writer. I will say I found myself a bit disappointed at the conclusion of my reading. I wasn't disappointed in the reading- it actually proved to be very helpful- I was frustrated that this wealth of information wasn't introduced in class at an earlier date. 
      I will be the first to admit that I am far from a polished writer. I need all the tools in my writing tool box- as many as I can carry. I think the education system sometimes fails to remember that as students we require a base foundation. Reading, writing and responding are great tools to create fluency and improve our writing speed. However, as students- people enrolled in school or college to learn- if we are not given the tools to build these assignments we cannot produce a quality piece. 
       I would encourage faculty and staff of any college courses to become conscious; students are not completely competent. This doesn't mean that we are not smart, fluent and dedicated- it plainly implies as students we need a tool box. It would be highly appreciated if instructors understood we need instruction- we need a guide. The Writer's Workbench is a wonderful guide that provided quality information; I would recommend that it be introduced earlier in the future. It will promote confidence, give reference, and offer a guide to the complexities of becoming a fluent writer.
 Knowing the nut and bolts and filling their tool box from the beginning of a writing course can only aid in the quality of a student’s writing- leading to an expedited understanding concerning the complexities of writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment