Tuesday, February 11, 2014

All That I'm After is a Life Full of Laughter...

What is laughter? I don’t think anyone can define laughter in a short paraphrase. Yes, it is a vocal noise brought on through external stimuli, but to me it is much deeper than a noise. It is a universal language that translates the same meaning across the world- happiness. When a person is laughing in response to a tickle or joke we can recognize why they are laughing- we can visually see or hear what has caused them to laugh. What about silent laughter and what impact does this have on our lives?
 To me, silent laughs are times when you laugh in response to a random memory recalling a moment in time that made you happy. That little, “Ha-ha” that sneaks up on you as you look out a fog covered window and see a snow covered field. You subsequently drift off into a land of memories filled with blistering cold air, cookie sheet sleds and your invincibility to old man winter. Memories of borrowing your mother’s prized scarf and your father’s reading glasses to build a ridiculous looking snowman with neighborhood friends, coming inside to have your mother boil water for a hot bath in efforts to thaw your frozen toes before they fell off, and sipping homemade hot coco bundled under a pile of crafted quilts by the fire.

                I want to express that laughter isn't always verbal. It is the memories and stories we stash away in our mind that bring a smile to our face randomly throughout our lives. I have to admit - All that I’m after is a life full of laughter; A life filled with silent laughs sparked by the memories that have shaped my life. The more I experience those little silent laughs, the more I know I have- lived

No comments:

Post a Comment