Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Lake..

There is something about the lake that overpowers my soul. The smell, the sound and the harmony of the water overtake my body, mind and spirit. I grew up on the lake- actually two lakes- and until I was 22 I had never been alienated from the tranquility of water. Until recently, I had never understood how much an undemanding body of water had provided me an unknown internal comfort.
           After my first daughter was born we moved from the lake to a place that implied perfection of the new family lifestyle. It was a cookie cutter house in a gated community full of budding families who worked the 9-5 job, ate dinner at the table every night and had the perfect furry companion to meander down the street with. We had a paved driveway, fancy fences and a perfectly positioned wreath hanging on a beautiful stained glass door- but we didn't have the lake. Instead, we had the clatter of other cars scurrying along and the echo of fellow neighbors carrying on with their busy lives. I began to miss my modest cabin on the lake and the familiarity of flying insects the lake attracted.
           I began to regret the demands that city life had poured into our lives. In an attempt to gather a sense on normalcy I found a rock on the lake to sit upon anytime I felt overwhelmed. This worked for a petite moment in time. I would smell the sweet breeze and gaze at the ripples in the water. I could feel the lake- I could sense my past. I was home for a brief moment.
          Recently, I decided I needed that feeling everyday; not just when I had time to drive 20 miles to adorn my uncomfortable moss cover rock. I wanted my permanent home back. I wanted my children to create the memories that I had of murky lake waters, summer slashes and watching skiers in the distance. I wanted to feel whole again.We sold the house in the flawless neighborhood and headed back to a country life full of imperfections surrounded but by the serenity of a lake. I am at peace again and my children can embark on the journey of making water filled memories because after all- memories are the story of our life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment