Monday, February 24, 2014

The Fun Side of Words..

The English Language has some incredibly interesting and funny words. As I sat at my desk thinking of entertaining words to use in English Class this week I kept thinking of my friends who employ usual words on a regular basis. My best friend calls the toilet the Loo and my daughter refers to her pajama’s as her bed-night clothes. Examining myself I realized I refer to pants as knickers more often than I label them jeans or pants. Most days I feel like a Mombie (a mom who feels like a zombie) and at night I prefer to enjoy my privy. Let’s look at various words that I say frequently, enjoy saying, or simply think are funny.
  • · Sporadically: something that isn’t planned.
  • Cat’s Pajama’s: a person who is awesome
  •  Canoodle: Awe, we all like to canoodle on the couch.
  •   Hocus-pocus: Alaka-zam! The mysterious saying that leads us to believe something is magically going to appear or disappear.
  • Hootenanny: A good old country get together usually ending a several crazy stories
  •   Nincompoop: An idiot.
  • Ornery: My children! Nah, spirited people.
  • Snollygoster: An out right, no good lier.
  • Doozy: Something really great or super duper bad.
  • Collywobbles: Redneck word for butterflies in the stomach.
  •   Fuddy-duddy: A very old person. I should add that I don’t use this word frequently but my children find great pleasure in referring to me in this way.
  •   La-di-da: Something we do when we have nothing else to say, keeping a secret, and skipping. Yes, skipping.
  • Namby-pamby: A alternate word for cry baby.
  • Rigmarole: Unnecessary BS!

I hope you have enjoyed the interesting words that I find fun and unusual! There are so many new and old words that are often fun to use in replacement of the politically correct versions. I will leave you with my favorite word that my children often use (due to the ineffectiveness of hocus pocus)- lickety split! 

No comments:

Post a Comment