Monday, February 10, 2014

I am Proud of the Path I Chose..


As I sit at my desk tonight trying to complete my credo a wave of thoughts ramble through my mind. Unsettling memories of the mistakes I have made throughout my life. Truthfully, I am hesitant to call them mistakes; let’s just say - I have traveled the road less traveled more than I wish to admit. Raised as an independent young woman I took the term independent a little bit too far at times. My life thus far has been filled with countless memories in which I did not seek the advice of my elders; nor did I accept any advice that was offered.

I can remember my father asking me, “will you ever learn the easy way?” Naturally, I said no and was complacent of my resistance even in my early twenties. Now in my thirties I often wonder what would be different in my life if I would have complied and lived life by the common code. Would I have finished my college degree by the age of 23, had time to be social resulting in a blossoming network of sorority sisters,  or simply not be in my thirties divorced with three kids? I will never know the answers to those questions- we cannot reverse time. However, sitting here tonight I am reminded- I am proud to stand by my past- even the ugly less appealing past.  I am proud to say that I didn't take the common path through life. I wear emotional scares and sport many successes of which my less than perfect past created. I may not have finished college by 23 and I certainly was a mother before I planned- but I wouldn't trade my successes or my children for planning my life by the code of common instructions.

Today I can say I am happy- I am content. If I were given the opportunity to change one thing about my life it would simply be-nothing. I am pleased I took the path less traveled. It has opened my eyes to experiences that I never would have mastered if I had traveled the over-crowed highway of common conformation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment